Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Saving Henry by Laurie Strongin

I really enjoyed reading this book. The main reason for this was due to the emotion that came through the story. I came across this book because my friend's mother is friend's with the author. She even helped her to write the book. I met the author as she was promoting the book and she appeared to be a very powerful woman. Soon after reading the book, I discovered just how much of a fighter she really is. She definitely puts the 'strong' in Strongin!

The book followed her and her family's struggle trying to save her oldest son's life. From birth he was diagnosed with a very rare disease called Fanconi Anemia. In order to save Henry, Laurie and her husband, Allen, tried new and controversial procedures. The book did go into some medical details, but it was mainly about raising awareness for families in this unfortunate situation.

I found it truly inspiring how the Strongins would fight through everything with a smile, especially Henry who probably enforced this. They truly made the best of Henry's short life as they could. In English class we are currently exploring what a true hero is. This story contains many heroes. Laurie is definitely a hero for putting herself through pain in efforts to reduce pain for Henry.

This book taught me that a hero cannot always survive. A hero tries his or her very best to stand up to a seemingly unbeatable force. Of course, people love to see a hero rise above and beyond this obstacle, but sometimes he or she just cannot do it. Yet, that hero keeps fighting until the very end, and most importantly, they go down not only fighting, but with happiness in their efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment