Friday, September 11, 2009

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

Though I do not read it often, I find the historical fiction genre very interesting. I find it quite impressive how authors are able to develop a story around an actual event. My aunt was the first person to tell me about The Boy in the Striped Pajamas around when the movie was entering theaters. The plot follows a year in the life of two boys, whom are both growing up in very different lifestyles. One boy is a victim of the Holocaust, while the other is the son of a commandant of the other side. The story is told through the naive eyes of the second boy described.

Because this boy did not really know what his friend was truly going through and how his own father was an accessory to his suffering, it made for an interesting turn of events. It truly seemed like a 9-year-old was telling the story, yet this book was definitely not for a 9-year-old. The lesson it teaches and the images of the Holocaust make it an emotional read for anyone. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical fiction. It is a quick read but very worthwhile. You will walk away with a new perspective on events in the past and connections to the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment