I have continued reading Dreamland. The plot has picked up somewhat, though I am still not a big fan of the book. However, I am glad that the plot has changed focus from Caitlin's runaway sister to her own relationship. The side story of Cass (Caitlin's sister) running away seemed very unrealistic to me. The family spoke about her absence as if she died, while she had run away. I wondered why they didn't just go find her and order her to come home, since they did know where she was working.
Anyway, now the book follows Caitlin's relationship with a mysterious boy, named Rogerson. Their relationship is a classic abusive relationship. Because I just learned the details of domestic abuse in health class, I have kept them in mind while reading the book. Caitlin and Rogerson are past the honeymoon stage and Rogerson has began beating Caitlin regularly. He buys her gifts and messes with her mind to keep her around. Yet, she knows she should stop seeing him. At the same time, she is scared to break it off because he has caused her so much pain already. The abuse has affected all aspects of Caitlin's life. She has been kicked off the cheerleading squad and is constantly unhappy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment