Thursday, March 11, 2010

All We Ever Wanted Was Everything by Janelle Brown

I began reading this book after abandoning a different book. I finished Pride and Prejudice and was not grasped by the next book I chose. I simply picked this book up at the library, knowing nothing about it. After reading the blurb it sounded like an interesting story and I noticed that it is a national bestseller so I decided to give it a try.

I have just began the book so the plot is still developing. So far, Janice, a housewife enjoying upper class life, has just been informed that her husband filed for divorce. In the following chapter, the reader finds out that Janice's daughter, Margaret, recently suffered a break up with her boyfriend. Both women are also victims of money troubles, as well. Janice's husband just achieved a major goal with his business that would have landed her a fortune, but after the divorce she will be left on her own. Similarly, Margaret is struggling to pay her bills because of her underpaying job. Also, her pride won't allow her to ask her family for any help with the money situation.

I found the parallels between this mother and daughter pair very intriguing. They are at completely different points in their lives, yet going through the same issues. Janice and Margaret don't seem to have gotten along well in the past few years, but I think they will bond over their problems. I am very close to my mother and love knowing that she is always there for me to rely on when I have a dilemma. I can't wait to see how the relationship between Janice and Margaret, and even Janice's other daughter, Lizzie, evolves. Maybe I will even recommend this book to my mom so when can discuss the mother-daughter story together!

No comments:

Post a Comment