Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Blog Book Review
I read a review of Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult in the Washington Post archives. I felt that this review described the book very well and gave it proper praise. I agreed with the point that the novel "presents a character who is a child instead of a disability personified". Jodi Picoult always does a remarkable job with characterization. After reading one of her books I always feel that she has brought a character to life. I loved how this review touched on that fact, and how it tied together Picoult's excellent way of describing the character's disease while not allowing it to override her personality. I also agree with the fact that "it's sometimes hard to feel much sympathy for [Charlotte]" based on her controversial decisions to continue with a wrongful birth suit. Due to Picoult's deep development of the characters, the reader usually finds themself caught in the conflict along with them. My mind would change along with the characters' minds as to sympathize with Charlotte or to accuse her of wrongdoings. In the end, I felt bad for her because though I did not agree with her decision to go through with the wrongful birth suit, she was truly trying to do what was best for her daughter. I thoroughly agree with this book review, as it highlighted all of Picoult's strengths and encouraged people to read this excellent novel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment